I am at that age where I am noticing the nuances of each of my grandparents. I have a wonderful grandma who is really into the nick-knacks. I am not sure what this fascination with collecting little clowns, frogs, pigs, what have you but that is what my grandma is really into. Focusing on all spending efforts on buying random objects possibly as decoration. You know, I probably do the same thing with my crazy scarves, crocheted purple and gold cowboy hat, and concert prints... psh let's not focus on that because I NEED those things.
Well my grandma has been pushing these little figures on me. I am slowly accumulating owls. Yes, it is very true that I have been fixated on owls as a motif. Check back on my curtains, mittens and sweaters. To me these things are functional as well as kitschy. So far I have three objects that have entered my life from my well intentioned grandmother. As a 75 year old Tyanne would say, "Bless her heart."
The first is a plastic owl. It is intended in scaring pests away from a garden. G-ma gave this to me when she found out about my owl mittens I made and the balcony garden that I had on Capitol Hill. I have to say that this owl did not deter the evil squirrel which harassed Catface day in and day out. That squirrel was a dick. Funny story about the plastic owl. It lived in the back seat of my car for a good while. One morning I walked out to find someone broke my drivers side window. To make matters worse is that he/she left their vomit covered t-shirt on my seat. This created the situation that the police were required be present to take the report and the t-shirt off my hands. When the fine officer and I were examining my car and chatting about how nothing was stolen other than the few Norwegian kroner that I had in my center consol (I will ask you why YOU do NOT have kroner lying around....) and he was shocked that the car burglar did not take the large plastic owl from my back seat. "I know, if I was searching people's cars I would have hit the jackpot!" The owl now lives in my basement storage unit awaiting the day that I will acquire some land which is harassed by rodents.
The second piece I have named Steve the Judgmental Owl. He sits on my kitchen window sill judging many things including: why I haven't done the dishes, why I haven't put the clean dishes away, and why I make so much food for one person. Look at those eyes and tell me there isn't hate within them.
The latest to my menagerie are these three owls which hold tea lights. I have found them a home in the window sill above my couch. They do not have a name yet but it looks like their heads are on fire.
I am now striving to become someone on this website in 40 years.


No comments:
Post a Comment