Enough complaining.
Since I became a big kid and moved into my very own apartment I seized the little bit of free space in my communal yard to plant a little garden. I read the book "The Secret Garden" when I was little and romanticized about finding a space to make my own green space. Last summer I had a sad patio planter garden which produced a couple of tomatoes and that was about it. This summer I planted tomatoes, kale, summer squash and snap peas straight into the ground. I also had two left over planters which alpine strawberries found a home.
My garden in its infantile stage:
My garden this weekend:
.jpg)
The kale has started to grow and I have harvested a few meals from it. In fear that it would get out of control like kale in many of my friends' gardens, I have been grazing on it before I have way too much and I let it go to waste.
The peas have become a bush and are struggling to climb the trellis. Jenny suggested tying yarn as a intermediate object for them to grab onto which seems to be working. The little guys are flowering and hopefully I will have snacks by fall.
My three tomato plants have started to grow but I am afraid that this colder snap will not do them any good. One thing I did learn this summer is that tomatoes do not like to get their leaves wet (thanks Jenny).
Squash is a struggle for me. The plant looks to be growing but the little fruits keep falling off. Is it prematurely balding? I do not know.
I love alpine strawberries. They are just little guys that are very sweet. Nom nom nom. I get about a handful at a time. Nothing is better than just a-snacking on them.
Just a little project I have been working on. Luckily I haven't had to do much weeding, just making sure they are watered. Maybe I will have some worms making some fertilizer soon. Who knows!
Looks great!
ReplyDeleteI am growing a sweet potato in my kitchen. I know who to adopt it out to once it's ready for dirt! (As if I know when that is...)
ReplyDeleteWhat Erin?! You are growing sweet potatoes? Um, yum!
ReplyDelete