3.06.2011

Day 18 Trials and Tribulations

For the love of God. That is all.

Okay not really. Today is the 18th day of working on my sweater project and boy it was quite a day. First I figure out while I am working on what I believed was the left front panel on the sweater to discover that I was shaping the collar of the sweater backwards. In the best terms this causes the horses to face the wrong way. To fix this problem I would have had to rip out about 6 inches of hard work so I decided to live with my mistake. It is handmade and unique.

I am dealing with it.

Today I finished my second piece to the sweater: the right panel!

That's not a snake!
No that is not a snake! That is the finished front panel. Yeah it looks a bit goofy because it is curling in. To remedy this I used a process called blocking. It is where you get your piece of knitting wet and then shape it into the form you want. For me it was getting it not to turn in and to lay flat. So that is what I did.

Front blocking

Much better. While I was at it I decided to block the back. This was a terrible idea of my self-esteem. It caused me to realize how enormous this jacket is. I can lay down on it and have ample room. What does that mean? Well I bet you anything this jacket will wrap around me twice. Thanksgiving sweater anyone?

Blocking the front and back

Guh. Sadly, I don't think blocking can make something smaller. What can I do? Try to felt it? This is what happens when you have a wool sweater, you throw it in the washer and dryer and it comes out small. First this wool I am using is a superwash which means it is machine washable. Eff. Secondly, if I did that and messed it up completely I would be super sad too.

Minor bumps in the road. I am going to keep on working this project as I have and hope for the best. Maybe it won't look terrible belted. Maybe I can channel my inner grandma and come up with a way to fix it. I am too tired right now to think about it.

Here is a picture of my cat.

Plastic Bag Kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment